Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Seed time



15 X 72 = 1080!

I have another seven or eight trays to seed, so by the end of the first round of planting, I will have about 1500 transplants growing in seed trays in my sun room!

Transplanting is a great way to jump start the growing season because you can start the seeds indoors well before the last frost and get them grown to just the right size to plant after the danger of frost has passed. Also, certain seeds, such as basil, require a very specific soil temperature range to germinate, so indoor starting is an awesome method of controlling external variables. In addition, I will be able to plant my transplants through mulch, which will not only help with moisture control but will also help with weed suppression. I will plant more greens next week so that they will have a staggered growth schedule. That way, all the lettuce will not be ready at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment